If I'm ever at a self serve drink station I tend to skip the straw and lid if I don't need it. It's a small thing but why not. I saw an article listing 5 easy plastic things we can probably all give up, and some that will take more effort.
1. Plastic cutlery (there are compact travel options)
2. Plastic straws (you can buy stainless steel ones apparently)
3. Plastic shopping bags
4. Switch to a bamboo toothbrush (check amazon)
5. Bottled water
6. Buy toilet paper wrapped in paper instead of plastic (might be hard to find)
7. Take-out containers
8. Disposable plastic cups and paper cups lined with plastic (most coffee cups)
Here's a link to the article with some compelling reasons and a video with Jeff Bridges!